Saturday, September 3, 2011

Blatantly Obvious

The sound of my feet pounding the path was the only rhythm I was aware of as I slowly climbed the incline of the Kololo hills in the rising early morning mist, past embassies and houses that would put the mansions of Shawnessey in Vancouver to shame. As I pass Kololo Heights and start my descent back home, the orange ball of the sun peaks out from behind Ntinda hill sending sunbeams shooting through the low lying clouds in a brilliant peachy fan. Running is good for the soul. A nearby mosque emanates sing-song prayers out into the waking world. Funny, I think to myself, normally their morning prayers are done by this time.

As I drink my coffee, the plan for the day goes through my head, meeting with PATH (an NGO with offices nearby at the WHO building). Then Michael (Doreen’s replacement) and I had a long to do list, check-out labs for processing cervical biopsies, buying a specimen carrier, editing and printing surveys and educational material, we had discussed it all just yesterday.

I show up at the gate of the WHO offices at the appointed time, but have an intriguing discussion with the guards at the gate. No, no one is in the office today. Why? They give me a strange look, a bit confused even. Well, its Eid.

Of course, Eid, silly me, oh well. Having not learnt my lesson I tromp down the hill to Mulago Hospital, get to the office to find the place a bit deserted. That’s funny, Mike and I had this work plan, oh well. When I call him (he’s a good Catholic boy by the way), he says: Sheona, it is Eid, we cannot work today!

I now recalled our scheduling challenges with the outreach workers in Kisenyi:

Does Monday work? No, Veronica’s church has to help distribute the World Food Program food.
Tuesday? Well, Esther is a Muslim, it could be Eid.
Wednesday? Well, it could be Eid.

Of course no one had thought to tell me, its obvious to the rest of the world, the date of the huge celebrations of Eid marking the end of Ramadan can’t be announced until the Imam sights the new moon.

It reminded my of a lovely family from Kerala, India who after recently moving to Calgary experienced their first Halloween. Of course, no one had thought to mention to them that children in their neighbourhood would be coming by, ringing the doorbell, yelling ‘trick or treat’ and asking for candy. Its so obvious, isn’t it?

So I spent the day immersed in epidemiology and statistics, catching up on courses instead. I have to say, I was grateful for Eid!

No comments: