Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dancing Pea Pods



Yesterday we came upon a group of four women shelling peas outside their home. We stopped to interview one of them as she continued her work. There were a few toddlers around laughing, screaming and occasionally throwing pea pods at each other.

As we stepped closer I noticed the large sac from where the bright green un-shelled peas were being pulled appeared to be gently undulating. Must be the heat I though. A wave of nostalgic memories washed over me, of shelling peas at my grandparents farm with my cousins...our payment for getting to watch Mr. Dress-up.

I looked into one of the pots and realized these were long peas...and they were wiggling. My 'peas' were grasshoppers. Its grasshopper season! The women pull off the legs, wings and antennae before throwing them in the pot and frying them to be sold as a snack. Just like peanuts, they explained.

When I told my Ugandan family of my learning for the day they insisted I have to try them. Now, they're best fresh, we'll get Annette to buy some tomorrow morning and prepare them for you.

Yum.

2 comments:

Rhoda y Jesús said...

So, what do you think? Tasty?

Sheonita said...

Apparenty the fresh ones come in from the village on Wednesdays...