Tuesday, December 9, 2008

La Lecheria Esta Cerada

The fiery Aussie nurse lent over the bassinet holding the hour-old infant whose mouth was rooting around looking for some nourishment. In her slurred accent, she said smiling, "Sorry mate, the milk ba's not open yet, but your mama will be back from the operating room just as soon as she can."

The proud father, brow furrowed and eyes serious responded: "Excuse me, I'm very sorry, but he only speaks Spanish." Lifting up his child, he cupped his tiny son's head in his hand, and in a gentle flowing voice translated what the nurse had said. La lecheria esta cerada, pero ahorita viene tu mami.

I love my job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my favorite story ever!
lb

Anonymous said...

cool

Jude said...

that was a tiny perfect slice. Thank you. Are you coming this way for Christmas?