Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cold Feet

I had to do my first family meeting when I was on call last week. I'd sat through them before with senior residents and attendings and I thought I knew how it worked. I asked what they already knew. Then explained that their brother was very sick from an infection. That he was on life support, that a machine was breathing for him, that another machine was doing the work of his kidney because they had shut down, and that his heart was also broken and we had to use medications to keep it going.

He's stable right now, but he is very sick. Are there any questions you have?

Can you make sure you keep his feet warm? He always hated it when his feet got cold. And if he wakes up and asks for Julia, tell him she's just on her way down from Whitehorse. But can you wrap up his feet with blankets?

Cold feet. It made me remember what really matters. So I went and got some warmed blankets to wrap up his feet. It was the most useful thing I did that 24 hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand...

Mamá.