Sunday, December 2, 2007

Snow Falling on Cedars

I awoke to snow drifting down in big juicy flakes onto the blanket of white covering the world. Unable to resist a run I went out clad in touque and gloves. My shoes sticking and squeaking with each stride. Silently and peacefully floating down around me. The water at Jericho beach lapping against the white carpet of the beach, melting the shore edge and turning it dark. Dark as the nearly black ocean spreading out towards the hidden north shore. Hidden by low deep gray misty clouds. Bull rushes with dainty snow caps, the snow turning the pond into an slushy gray pool. Dogs tumble in the snow, kids rolling snowballs, laying on the lawn, arms and legs flapping to make snow angels with mouths wide open catching the snow. As I pound my way home, snow flakes melt against the hot skin of my face, making salty rivulets down to my lips. A moment of perfection.

And this afternoon I will go to my shift at the emergency department just as I did yesterday, where I will see how others experience the snow. A split chin after slipping on the ice, an elderly woman with a broken elbow and then the things that aren't just accidents. The homeless hypothermic, the red swollen hands from exposure, the black toes needing amputation.

I am the privileged.

No comments: