Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tasered

A few weeks ago a man arrived at the Vancouver airport from Poland. He was acting strange, pacing back and forth and speaking in a language his fellow passengers didn't understand (presumably Polish). His name was Robert Dziekanski, it was his first international flight and as the story goes he was visiting his mother. A new country, a strange language, sleep deprivation, exhaustion. I can all too easily imagine the rising anxiety he must have felt, much like I felt on the Slovakian boarder with Austria a few years ago, but I digress, I just got harassed, not tasered. To get to the point, the police were called, approached him, tasered him and he collapsed. No CPR was started for 5-8 minutes. Last I checked, police officers are trained to do it. The paramedics arrived, but by that time his heart wasn't even twitching anymore.

It made me sad.

It made me think.

Cops have a tough job.

Also, tasers suck.

Three patients of mine experienced police force recently. One is stocky and muscular. I completely understood why he needed five officers and a paddy wagon to be brought in. He sported a dislocated finger and a gruesome black eye, the white of his eye bright red with blood. No need to taser this guy of course.

The second, well, I can see how she might be feisty but the truth is she's a tiny five foot Asian girl who weighs 100lbs soaking wet, okay, maybe 105. The police officer felt 'threatened' as she proceeded down the road towards him (with no weapon) so he 'bumped' her with the police car before they got out and tasered her. She definitely needed the taser she got. Oh, can't get my tongue unstuck from my cheek.

The third, also aggressive, out of control in his apartment. I had never seen the actual results of a taser before. A bruise the size of a pomelo, Citrus maxima (yes, we always use food to describe sizes) on his torso with two central dots where the actual 'taser' parts of the taser stick in the skin.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm glad they're using a taser gun and not the bullet variety, the whole point of it is to reduce mortality. People get out of control, they go 'crazy', for medical and non-medical reasons and really, I probably actually trust cops . . . most of the time. I sure wouldn't want their job.

But I don't think Robert Dziekanski was crazy. I think he was anxious and scared. And no one took the time to assess the situation and try to understand him. I'm starting to think that everyone expects the worst from people . . . especially when they are agitated and in an international airport. We all make mistakes. Maybe it hit home because their mistake cost a human life, and that's not so far from my personal fears.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey friend!

I want to share with you some wisdom that my Grandma shared with me...She told me that too many people live their lives waiting to be offended. We look for oppurtunities to stand up for ourselves, to voice our rights as an individual...I think this is true, how many times have I done this myslef? I try to live my life in antithesis to her observation of the western world, this is the truth I use often to "sober" myself when I forget to NOT look for offense. Perhaps police offers to waiting to be assualted. What has the world taught them? What has experience taught them?

Peace (and love from Xalt)

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...not sure where to weigh in on this topic. On one side of my scale would be the two officers killed recently, one I worked with and can't believe what this has done to his beautiful family, co-workers ect. On the other side of the scale several members who maybe should not ever be in a position of authority, holding a tazer or a gun. I would agree with Melissa regarding experience, I think they often go on duty with more than their vest to shield themselves from what they will deal with and see at work.
Good post Sheona. Hope you have a great day tomorrow:) Any special plans?
Annita

Ruth said...

phew. i ALMOST got you a taser for your birthday. just as well i didn't. what a relief.

Anonymous said...

Being the wife of a police officer, I know they are taught to expect the worst in every situation. They do that or risk losing their lives. It's unfortunate, but it's their reality.

Sarah said...

Sheona,

well, that was more balanced than I feel, which is why it's good you're writing the blog and not me ;) The man wanted his mother! He couldn't find her. I'm frustrated, and angry. Didn't know the details about the CPR bit, that makes me even sadder. It's like they didn't even care when they realized what happened.

Donde estas corazon? C'est perdu...

Anonymous said...

Well Sheona the problem is that Tasers were introduced as less lethal force to be applied in situations where one would normally use a firearm. However, what is happening in these situations is that police officers have become convinced of the concept of "less lethal" force as "non-lethal force" and are substituting the use of Tasers as a shortcut method of avoidance. Initially avoidance of subjecting themselves to direct contact with an accused (such as using physical force to subdue someone), but also now avoidance of simply attempting to talk someone down, to rationalize with them, or to even have patience. The end result is a cavalcade of trigger happy Taser abusers.

Your friend in peaty whisky.