Saturday, October 6, 2007

Alberta Bound

Friday brought with it an epic journey. First squeezing through the narrow pass of Phimosis, only to be met on the other side by the sticky pit of chronic Balanitis with crusting around the edges. Then, after wading through the mushy swamp of Prostatitis I ended my foul run of luck along the meandering stream of Epidydimitis with tender hard boiled eggs (without the shell).

Sticky foreskins and sensitive testicles aside, in all seriousness I have found a new appreciation for men's health over the past few days. Turns out sexual issues are important for the health of men as well as women . . . who knew?

Fortunately, after seeing four patients complaining of problems with 'the boys' my day brought a bit of variety. There was a lovely three year-old whose mom brought him in with a cold. He played doctor with my stethoscope and obediently opened his mouth wide for me to take a look. To me he was a little miracle, so smart and inquisitive, crawling up and down from the examining table with endless questions. Both his mom and dad are HIV +. He is negative and as healthy as any kid his age (snotty nose included!) Seeing him filled me with endless hope and optimism, that this can happen, and not just in Canada.

The afternoon was a bit more disturbing. A young guy of the exact same age as me and currently at university. He had a sore throat and had noticed a lump on his neck. I examined him and reassured him that he had a cold and most of the time you do get some swollen lymph nodes. He didn't buy it. "But why have I never had it before with a cold? This isn't normal." When the questions kept coming I realized there was something else going on. So I asked if he was worried about anything specific. The can of worms opened. Throat cancer and HIV. Lots of high risk sexual activity. However, he was skeptical about HIV. Wasn't it possible that its all just a money making scheme for doctors and drug companies. People are killing themselves with the drugs they take, you can treat it with diet.

I could nearly hear the creaking of my jaw dropping as he spoke. Speechless. Where do I even start? We had a long discussion, and I hope I opened some doors for dialogue. He went to get the blood work done and we'll see what happens. When I talked to my preceptor about him he said without hesitation, "he needs to wake up, or he's going to die."

In the span of a few hours I went from an explanation of a foreskin re-growing contraption, to a deep feeling of hope in the eyes of a child, to shock at a population that has somehow fallen through the cracks in understanding the gravity of what HIV means. The absurd, the wonderful, and the disturbing . . . its nuts! My work day came to a close on a high note with my evaluation. Stronger than your peers at this level. (What?!? Don't they know I went to U of C and am clearly deficient in pharmacology and anatomy?) Fantastic with patients, great people skills, open-minded and sensitive to patient issues. (Okay, I guess they do know I went to U of C).

And then . . . freedom. Frantic packing. Airport. Plane. Cowboy on plane. Calgary. Hugs, family. Bright sun, blue sky, golden leaves and of course, turkey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Turkey Day!

Ruth said...

i think you are a turkey. a really cute one.