Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wanted: Fenders and a Brolly

Apparently it rains in Vancouver.

I know, I know, this is not something I hadn't heard before, but now I've actually experienced it. For several weeks now as I drank in the glorious sunny days and beautiful evenings I've thought this 'Vancouver is rainy and gray' stuff was an unsubstantiated, vicious rumour. Turns out its true.

Monday morning dawned gray and soggy. I grabbed my fancy gortex jacket (yes, the one that I could have fed a small village for a month with), and felt pretty cool speeding off into the rain. Not so cool. Shoes soaked, puddle water sprayed up my back, face speckled with rain I emerged from the parkade steaming. Not only was I a little damp, I was positively drenched. Right down to my knickers. What to do, what to do? Soggy knickers, hmmm.

A little known fact is that the most comfortable underwear in the world are in fact disposable hospital underwear. How do I know, you ask? I just happen to have experience sitting in pools of amniotic fluid while catching babies and have tried them in the past. So I snuck into the triage room (getting a couple of strange looks) and did the deed. At first sight they look like a pile of gauze, however, on closer inspection they are more like white fishnet stocking (in a square-ish shape). They may look a bit odd, but they do the trick. It would not have mattered that they were unsightly if it wasn't for the fact that all the scrubs have a hole where the drawstring tie at the side that either show off your thigh or your underwear, depending on your style. Yup, jokes on me Vancouver, apparently it rains here.

Either I'm going to have to keep a disposable knicker stash in my locker or I'll have to invest in some fenders. The fenders may be the least humbling option.

1 comment:

CarlySteiger said...

Cute, you are. Fancy gortex rain pants may need to be added to your wish list...plus the shoe covers. Both of which could sustain a Khmer family for about a year, but hey, that just so happens to be the world we live in.
Peace and love.